Your safety is important to us – and where water is involved, there are of course risks. That’s why we have contacted representatives of the Waterway Police, the German Canoe Federation and other official bodies to provide you with the following information and tips:
This is how to get started paddling.
These tips should help you to move safely and correctly on the Board.
- Adjust the paddle to your size – it should be about 20 cm longer than your body height.
- Attach the leash (safety line) to one of your ankles.
- Carry the board by the handle and make sure that it does not bump into anything.
- The fin underneath the board needs sufficient water depth to prevent it from touching the ground. Please pay special attention to this when getting in and out of the water.
- For your start on the water, paddle in a kneeling position to get a feeling for the board. The same applies if you feel insecure.
- Once you feel more stable, slowly straighten up. To do this, keep your feet about shoulder width apart and use the paddle to balance yourself.
- Hold the paddle so that the slanted side of the paddle (with kolula logo) faces the front of the board.
- We recommend wearing a life jacket and weatherproof clothing (e.g. wetsuit/lycra).
- Don’t forget to bring drinks (especially water) and sunscreen for each trip.
- Your smartphone is the key to the locker box! Stow it safely OUTSIDE the locker box. Feel free to use the waterproof bag located in your locker.
Our board partner Red Paddle Co has some great videos for you, showing tips for starting and the right technique.
Click here to see the videos!
This is how you start paddling:
- Select a rental station near you
- Specify desired time and number of participants
- Book the board
- Open lock box on site via smartphone
- Take out the board & paddle
- Stow valuables in the box
- Get on the water!
- Stow board & paddle again afterwards
Water traffic regulations:
- On the water, the right-hand rule applies and thus the right-of-way rule “right before left”.
- Professional ships have priority. Therefore, if possible, avoid them to the right and do not paddle in their fairway. This is marked by red and green buoys.
- Pay attention to the possible deployment sites of the lake tour when entering and exiting with your SUP. Allow ships sufficient space for docking, turning and braking.
- As a warning signal, ships trumpet out a sound lasting about 4 seconds. Such a signal may also be intended for you, so in such a case react attentively and keep your distance. Waves from large excursion boats and smaller motorboats can drive you toward shore.
- The best way to overcome currents and waves is to ride through them head-on with the tip of the board and not sideways along them.
- Driving on the water is prohibited during thunderstorms and fog. Therefore, inform yourself about the weather before the session and cancel the trip in case of doubt. Your safety comes first!
- If you find yourself in a dangerous situation, wave both arms to draw attention to yourself.
- Please respect nature and the environment: do not pass through swimming areas, nature reserves and restricted zones and please take your trash home or dispose of it properly. Only clean nature remains as beautiful as it is!